The old-fashioned candy shop located in Easton's Centre Square is still churning out batches of homemade Carmelcorn, popcorn, fudge, roasted nuts, and chocolate-dipped specialities that made us a hit in 1931. Established by John and Ruth Doherty, The Carmelcorn Shop has become an Easton institution. Keeping with the tradition over the years, the shop was bought by Richard Baskin in 1985 and then purchased by Tony & Sia Bassil in 1996 to present. On October 8th 2011, the Bassil's celebrated The Carmelcorn Shop's 80th Anniversary.
Sia Bassil got her start at The Carmelcorn Shop in 1977. She was a high school student and learned that the shop needed an extra set of hands. She got the job on the spot and "the rest is history." The Doherty's would spend parts of the year in Florida and Bassil soon became the apprentice who learned to make the fudge and brittles to keep the store going while they were gone.
By the time the 1980s rolled around, the Doherty's were looking for a buyer for the 50 year old shop. Although Bassil would've liked to buy it then, she couldn't. The shop was purchased by Richard Baskin in 1985 and Bassil continued to work for him on and off as she settled down and started a family. In 1996, the Bassil's purchased the business and customers today have watched their kids Theresa, Jessica, and Antoine grow up in the store.
The secret to being in business for eight decades is the homemade touches and small-batch recipes Bassil has from the Doherty's original cookbook. The hometown flavor, the product, and Bassil's personality makes the perfect recipe to keep The Carmelcorn Shop alive.